Thursday, March 31, 2016

REVIEW: Salt to the Sea By Ruta Sepetys {4 STARS}

REVIEW: Salt to the Sea By Ruta Sepetys

Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Philomel Books
Genres: Young Adult, and Historical Fiction
Format: Hardcover
Pages:  391 pages
Release Date: February 2, 2016
RATING: 4 STARS
Check this book out on Goodreads!
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff
, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Yet not all promises can be kept.

Inspired by the single greatest tragedy in maritime history, bestselling and award-winning author Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray
) lifts the veil on a shockingly little-known casualty of World War II. An illuminating and life-affirming tale of heart and hope.


       Salt to the Sea is a compelling and unpredictable novel that will leave you constantly at the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. In Salt to the Sea, we follow four different people behind different backgrounds, whos stories end up intersecting in the midst of World War II. Ruta Sepetys does an amazing job a making you feel exactly what the character is feeling and makes you feel like you are actually in their shoes going through what they are. You will feel the fear they feel, the shock, horror, and just every emotion that they are feeling. The book was just amazing!

      This book was a pretty fast read despite the fact that it is nearly 400 pages. The chapters are only two or three pages long so, it flew by pretty fast. I love how there was four different perspectives! I am a total sucker for multiple POVs. I love them and I definitely love this one. Emilia, Florian, Joana, and Alfred who we see the perspective of. I pretty much loved everyone but, Alfred. I was compelled to just skip his part when ever it would appear. I can't think of anything that would describe how I feel about him. He thought he was above everybody else, and was just a cruel person.

      Not only was this story compelling and unpredictable but, it was also devastating. The ending broke my heart! I wish in the end we got to see more about what happened to two certain characters. Anyways overall, this book was absolutely amazing and I enjoyed every second of it. Even the ugly sob moments at the end. I will be definitely be checking out Ruta Sepetys other books in the near future. I also recommend this to pretty much everybody, and definitely to those who are in love with historical fiction. Even if you aren't really into historical fiction, I think this is one worth checking out! I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars! ;D

Have you read this? Your thoughts? If you haven't what are you looking forward to in this book? Tell me down in the comments!


If you would like to see more of my blog in the future, you can either follow Bloglovin, or email!
I will also be posting a giveaway once I reach 150 followers on Bloglovin!!


No comments:

Post a Comment